I have my associates degree in early childhood education and taught preschool for five years and over that time, I read so many children’s books! This is a list of some of the preschool age books that the children I worked with requested to read time and time again!
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? written by Bill Martin/ Eric Carle. This is a very receptive book, but over time the children could “read” the book themselves.
2.Where the Wild Things Are written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak was another very popular book in my classroom. I was able to find this book at the library with a cd companion and the children LOVED listening to this one!
3. Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes written by Eric Litwin is also a great book for preschoolers. The children loved to sing , “I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes.”
4.We’re Going on a Bear Hunt written by Michael Rosen is another fantastic book to read to preschoolers. The children I worked with loved to “read along” with the story and acted like they were scared of the bear that was chasing after the children in the story.
5. Is There a Dog in This Book? written by Viviane Schwarz is a book that I randomly picked up off the shelf at my local library one day. The children LOVED this book and always loved it when I “flipped” the pop up parts of the book.
6. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss is a classic but excellent preschool book. The children would always listen intently whenever I would read this book!
7. Hop on Pop by Dr Seuss is another classic preschool book. This book is great to talk about words that rhythm.
9. Any Look and Find books. Look and find books are pretty much the same thing as “Where’s Waldo?”books and for younger children, “I Spy”that have some of their favorite cartoon characters in them. Ones that were well loved in my classroom were: Disney® Frozen First Look and Find , Nickelodeon Paw Patrol First Look and Find ,Disney® Princess Look and Find.
10.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is another book that children love to read! It seems that children are drawn the to very vibrant colors that are displayed in this book.
11. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything is a wonderful book to use during the fall and around Halloween! Child love to follow along with this story. This is a great book to add to your collection especially the book on cd because it makes it “scarier”.
13.How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? written by Jane Yolen & Mark Tegue is a popular book to read around children who are interested in dinosaurs!
14. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff is a popular book among preschoolers.
17. Duck on a Bike by David Shannon is a silly book that children enjoy listening to over and over again.
18. The Biggest, Best Snowman By Margery Cuyler is a great book to read in the winter to children.
19. The Mitten by Jan Brett is another book that is fantastic to read to preschoolers during the winter time.
20.The Gingerbread Man by Megan Lloyd is a book that was read all year around, not just in the winter time!
- I am an amazon associate and this post contains affiliated links